Daddy, I Love You



Yesterday my dad turned 60. For many reasons this was a very cool day.

To begin, my dad and mom broke up early on when my mom was pregnant with me. Growing up I don’t ever recall spending my dads birthday with him. It was like most holidays where I send the obligatory “Happy ____________” with an accompanying photo or heart. 


Last week I just had a burning  urge to be sure I went to see him in Climax, Ga (yes that is a real city). I did and it was great. I never got my dad a birthday gift or birthday card. This year I did and I must say it was a ton of fun shopping for things he would enjoy. 


His house recently burned down and they (he and his spouse) lost all their things. I decided to get him a nice casual jacket as well as a dri fit shirt that will keep him cool when he is working outside. I also got him some cologne, card, pics (of course of me his beautiful daughter), and some money. Like me, well maybe I’m like him, my dad is selfless and believes in taking care of those he loves. I wrote him a note to tell him NOT to spend the money on anyone but himself. I hope he complies! 


Needless to say,  he was surprised and happy to see me, grateful for the gifts, and overjoyed that 3 of his 4 kids were all under one roof for his birthday (the oldest was at work). I was simply happy. 


For years, my dad struggled with a substance abuse addiction. He is clean and has been for a couple years. Yesterday was the longest conversation I have had with him while he was sober in years and I must say my dad is a pretty cool guy. When he was in active addiction I always had a tough time understanding him because he stuttered so much. Yesterday, not so much. I was able to see his compassion, concern and tenderness towards his kids. As well as his interest in living a peaceful life.  

Anyways , all I’m trying to say is my Daddy turned 60 and I was able to share that moment with him. 


I love you Daddy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The perfect blog post

What Does your Silence Mean ?

Tears Speak For Me